Wednesday 24 February 2010

The wonder of Glee!

I know what you may be thinking, oh god it's glee. For the people that like it you'll probably be thinking yaaay! I myself am thinking yaaay. There's a big divide betwen those who like it and those who, well hate it. Most people will probably not be so shocked that i like it, people prancing about and singing, seems very me.

Let me tell you i WAS surprised myself that i liked it being in premise and events similar to high school musical (grrrr) which i absolutely hate! I deplore that film, i watched 10 minutes of it and felt i'd aged about 15 years. Also if one shite film wasn't bad enough then they made two more pieces of crap. Oh for fuck sakes. Anyway less of high shit musical. So basically what happened was that i saw the adverts for Glee and it was classed as 'The new American Hit Series.' I though i may as well give it a go and if i hated it i'd stop watching. Simples *weird mouth noise* However it turns out the night it was on i was at work so i wasn't all that bothered about missing it. Fate didn't let me get away that easily. I was on my break flicking through the 5 channels they have, when i came across singing and dancing and slushie throwing. I realised 'ahhh it's Glee, I'll leave this on.'

I watched the last 15 minutes of the first episode happily enough when they started singing their gripping rendition of 'Don't Stop Believin.' From that exact moment on i was hooked. I loved it, it put a smile on my face. I watched the first 15 minutes of the second episode and then sadly had to return to work. I kept doing this vicious circle of: work when it was on, catch bits of it, see the adverts yet miss the majority of the episode. Yet i was hooked so one night i looked it up on the net and found a site with all the first 13 episodes. It was a great night. I then proceeded to download all of the songs from the show, which yes i do listen to on a regular basis.

So that's how i found out about it but this is why, in my opinion, it's a great show. It's got it's downfalls, like every show. The characters are totally cliched and very American, there's not even a posh British person included. Some of the events are hard to believe or rather the characters belief in these events are hard to believe: who'd believe their little swimmers could swim across a jacuzzi because it was 'the right temperature.' And how do you not find out your wife is faking a pregnancy? Yet despite these it's pure comedy gold. Even the stupid events make for a laugh. I especially loved it when Mercedes threw a brick through Kurt's window (how did she not gather he was gay?!) and then began to sing about it. Legend.

It's just pure escapism. There's really no violence in it. It's a happy show. You feel for the characters and their situations and it even touches upon traumatic incidents, teenage pregnancy and coming out, which i feel is brave for a comedy, musical show. It's filled with killer 1 liners, 'I was aroused, then furious,' and is just, no pun intended, full of glee.

So boys and girls i am pleased and proud to admit that i am a fully fledged Gleek!
Don't stop believin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment